This weekend I did some soul searching in my closet. I decided it was time to commence project “Capsule Wardrobe!” If you are unfamiliar with the concept of a capsule wardrobe it’s basically this: Eliminate any items of clothing that you don’t fit into, don’t look good in, or don’t absolutely love. You’re left with fewer items, but if you do your job right you’ll love everything you own and feel good in what you wear on a daily basis.
My goal is to have a wardrobe around a 20 – 30 pieces, but historically I am more of a clothes hoarder. When I stepped back and got real with myself I realized I only wear about 30% of my clothes, so I took the plunge and rid myself of the other 70% that just weren’t cutting it anymore. There were a few hard decisions, and I had to cut ties with a few pieces I’d been holding onto for sentimental reasons, but I’ve come through to the other side and I can honestly say it feels great!
3 Steps to Make Your Capsule Wardrobe
1. Try on your clothes, get rid of anything that doesn’t fit well, look good, or is no longer your style. Even if you Aunt Barbara hand knit that sweater for your 13th birthday, if it doesn’t look good on you it needs to go. This also means getting rid of things that you’ve hung onto because you have a deep sentimental bond with them *cough cough* honeymoon clothes *cough.
After you purge…
2. Look at what’s left, and try to find the common thread. Do you love neutrals? Maybe you’re more boho. Try to find the common theme in your wardrobe and give your style a name. This will help you in the future to decide whether a piece really belongs in your wardrobe. This could be anything from “Simple Elegance” to “Comfortable Luxe.” For me personally, I love layers and neutrals so my style is “Effortless Chic.” Corny name, but I chose “Effortless” because I need this to be simple, and “Chic” because I still want to look nice and polished.
3. Plan and purchase. The best part of the capsule wardrobe journey if you ask me! Spend a few days looking through your favorite stores and save the things you love. I like to do this step online so I can see everything together! That way I know if I’m staying true to the style I set for myself in step 2. And it’s ok if it changes! Looking at my Fall Capsule board, what I started with is not where I ended up. Take the time to carefully check the details on the clothes you are thinking about and by gosh read the reviews! If everyone loves it, you probably will, too! But if several people comment on how quickly an item falls apart, don’t risk it! Remember, we are going for fewer, higher quality items.
1. Button-Down Tunic Shirt with Pockets, Madewell $82
2. Asymmetrical Mini Skirt in Pinstripe, Madewell $88
3. Soundcheck Ringer Tee: Short Sleeve, Madewell $45
4. Seychelles Ukelele Booties, Anthropologie $140
5. Ex-Boyfriend Shirt in Kemp Plaid, Madewell $79.50
6. BDG Sally Pocket Tee, Urban Outfitters $39
7. Suede D’Orsay Flat, Urban Outfitters $59
8. Mitte Long Cardi, Anthropologie $88
9. Poppy Ankle Boot, Urban Outfitters $100
These 9 items combined with what’s left in my closet make my 25 piece wardrobe. I may have to buy a few more basic tees for layering, but I think this is a great start. This is definitely the smallest my closet has ever been, and I am excited to see how much time I save. It will also be nice to love every outfit I wear — right now that happens like 20% of the time. It also really helps doing all this shopping right as I come off Whole30 and feel great!