We have now officially been the owners of The Urban Acres II for one whole month! 30 days ago, we had great anticipation and expectation that we could wrap this remodel up in about 3.5 – 4 weeks and then we’d be enjoying the fruit of our labor and a glass of homemade lemonade on our beautiful back porch while watching the sunset.
Not so, people. Not so.
When I told people how quickly we planned to renovate, a few laughed at me. Literally, out loud laughed! And I thought “Well I’ll show you! I’ll be organized, I’ll work hard, and we’ll get it done!” I now know why everyone was laughing. One word — Contractors.
Contractors are a lot like cable companies except cable companies give you an 8 hour window of when they’ll show up, and contractors give you an 8 week window. They say they’re going to show, and they don’t. They are impossible to get a hold of. When you ask when they are going to show they say “Tomorrow, or next week, depends on another job.” It’s maddening I tell you! Maddening!
I realize that it’s not all the contractors fault. They work for builders, and side projects like ours don’t take top priority, but at least call us back (looking at you plumbing guy!)
We’ve been ready to move onto the next phase of work for nearly 2 weeks now, but have been waiting on the electrician to show. Bless God, he finally came yesterday and now the real fun stuff can start happening!
Here’s the progress so far!
The entry way has been completely gutted! We knocked out those two closets and widened the walkway into the den. Now when you walk in, you aren’t immediately in a small hall. We also ripped out all the tile (easier said than done), ripped out the old concrete, and laid new subfloors that the hardwoods will go on top of.
The kitchen opening is now totally open! You can see we moved the walkway to the center of the wall, and made it a 6ft opening instead of the previous 30in. This will really help these two rooms feel more connected.
This blue bathroom has been the bane of Andrew’s existence. See all that blue tile? ALL of it was attached with concrete! Even the walls. Andrew had to take a sledgehammer to this entire thing. He finally got the tile out, but there’s still concrete in the shower floor to be removed.
Other progress includes cabinet delivery, tile delivery, faucets and light fixtures. We also put can lighting in the front living room since it had no light whatsoever. Today the HVAC guy is going to move two vents, and then the plumber should be able to wrap up his part this week, too.
Lord willing, all the contractors will finish their jobs so our floor guy can install next week! Once floors go in it’s pretty much smooth sailing. Andrew will be able to hang drywall, get cabinets in place, and we can start painting. This place will really start taking shape in the next couple of weeks and I can hardly wait!